Table of Contents
- Mari Llewellyn is the founder and president of Bloom Nutrition, creator of the Slay App, and host of the podcast The Pursuit of Wellness. She lost 90 pounds through sustainable lifestyle changes like weightlifting and walking instead of extreme diets, and has kept the weight off long-term.
- Mari suffered from borderline personality disorder (BPD) and was able to overcome it through therapy techniques like DBT, mindfulness, and establishing healthy routines, as well as changing her nutrition to a ketogenic diet which stabilized her blood sugar and improved her mental health.
- Mari emphasizes the importance of nutrition for mental health and believes that stable blood sugar levels from low-carb diets can help boost mood, motivation, and clearer thinking.
- She focuses on eating a high-protein, low-carb diet centered around meat as this makes her feel energized, fit, and have clear skin - despite societal pressure on women to eat more plant-based or low protein.
- Mari believes there are dangerous side effects to the weight loss drug Ozempic like thyroid cancer and kidney failure according to her naturopath, and people in LA use it simply to get thinner versus making meaningful diet and lifestyle changes.
- She built her supplement company Bloom Nutrition from the ground up with her husband, starting with a simple $5 PDF workout guide and growing it through self-funding and organic growth into a company with 60 employees.
[13:41] ML: "A lot of girls are really scared to weight lift. [...] I think what a lot of girls don't realize is the dedication it would take to put on that [large] amount of muscle."
[38:30] ML: "I actually eat liver every day now. [...] I freeze it and swallow it in a chunk because I don't want to taste it. So I kind of treat it like a pill."